Most programs you can download in source form can be compiled using the following simple steps:
- Extract the source package (ex. ‘tar xzvf programname-version.tar.gz’), this will create directory programname-version. Chdir into it.
- Run ‘./configure’. This checks the build environment to make sure your compiler works and has the proper libraries installed.
- Run ‘make’. This compiles the program.
- Run ‘make install’. This places the binaries in the appropriate location(s).
- Depends on GCC version also