EXtensible Markup Language. It defines a standard way of encoding the structure of information in plain text format. It is an open standard of the World Wide Web Consortium that is based on extensible tags (extensible meaning that they are not pre-programmed, but can be defined by the creator).
- XML stands for EXtensible Markup Language
- XML is a markup language much like HTML
- XML was designed to carry data, not to display data
- XML tags are not predefined. You must define your own tags
- XML is designed to be self-descriptive
- XML is a W3C Recommendation